Many of us think of braces as a cosmetic procedure, used to straighten your teeth for an attractive smile. While improving the appearance of your teeth is certainly an advantage of braces, there are also health benefits involved. At Art of Dentistry in Danville, we pride ourselves on giving you the most beautiful and healthy teeth possible, and braces can be a great way to achieve that.
Who can benefit from braces?
Teens and adults with crowded, crooked or misaligned teeth can benefit from braces. Braces will help straighten and space your teeth so they are in an optimal position for aesthetics and health.
How do braces improve oral health?
- Properly aligned teeth make it easier to chew and bite, decreasing your risk for damaging your teeth. The ability to chew normally is also crucial for digestion and nutrient absorption.
- Well spaced teeth allow for easier brushing and flossing, lessening your risk of dental decay and inflammation.
- By eliminating an over or under bite, braces help prevent grinding and irritation. This will also help alleviate strain on the jaw muscles.
- Straight teeth are less likely to be chipped or damaged during sports or other activities than protruding teeth.
- Aligned teeth reduce the risk of gum disease, which can result from bacteria collecting in pockets between your teeth.
How do I care for my teeth with braces?
You need to take good care of your teeth while your braces are on in order to preserve the health benefits that come with them. The metal brackets and wires used in many braces procedures can trap food and will require special attention while brushing. Flossing can be more difficult, so ask your Danville dentist for tips.
If you need to have teeth removed to make room for your braces to work their magic, the temporary gaps can also be hiding places for food and will need to be tended to so bacteria doesn't settle in and lead to decay. A mouth rinse can help make sure any particles are removed.
Braces can be life changing for your smile, restoring your confidence and paving the way for lifelong oral health. Call your Danville, VA, dentists Drs. Jessica Owen and Zachary Hairston for a consultation today at (434) 792-0700.